Search Engine Optimisation (abbreviated as SEO) is the ability to find websites on the Web by searching for keywords. True SEO is focusing on organic searches because the results are all related to the term(s) that have been searched, rather than displaying Pay Per Click results. One of the latest developments is Academic SEO because it makes various formats (e.g. media, PDF etc.) easily found .
Using the correct keywords allows you to be found. If you are using the wrong keywords, you will not have a lot of hits.
How do people find my blog?
The best way is to learn some basic HTML. Put a title on every post, use headings on each post, make important words/terms in bold. This will also help scanners to read your blog! The image below should get you started on good HTML practices.
How do people find geraldmurphysearch?
- A “gerald murphy manchester metropolitan university” search will direct you to this blog, but why?
- Short answer: by following good use of HTML. The detailed answer: I have posted a post with my name which was enclosed in a heading 1 tag, and it has been inserted in a title tag, as well as being printed in bold (or strong).
- This meant that search engines could interpret these words as being important. For example, a heading 1 tag indicates that these words are related to the body of the text. Whereas the title keywords indicate what the whole document is about: what is this post saying?
- Use the WebMaster tools
- The blog is registered with search engine bots (the programs which scan and read the HTML tags and content) via the web-master tools under the settings tap of WordPress (see image below). This means that bots visit this blog from time to time, doing a quick scan of what tags I have, and index them so people can search for them.
- Beel, J., Gipp, B., WildeAcademic, E. (2010) Search Engine Optimization (ASEO): Optimizing Scholarly Literature for Google Scholar & Co. [PDF available on this link]
How do you improve your rankings?
Organic searches take a little time, but a good place to start is with your HTML. You don’t need to be a technie person to use HTML. HTML is just the start, one you write a post ask yourself:
How can I sum up this post using 5-10 words?
Write these words as tags. Next, ask yourself does the title tag sum up the whole post? Are the most important terms in the heading tag?
This post, for example, might be displayed for the following search terms “how to improve search engine optimisation rankings”. Hopefully you know why*?!
* SEO is in the title tag (title of the post), “improve” and “rankings” are in a heading tags.